Mission, Vision, & Principles
St. Croix Valley Habitat for Humanity partners with working families, sponsors, and communities to build affordable, sustainable, quality homes and to provide support services that promote successful home purchase and ownership in Pierce and St. Croix counties, WI. Aligning our strategic planning with Habitat for Humanity International, we have a vision of a world where everyone has a decent place to live.
How We Are Living Our Mission
St. Croix Valley Habitat is dedicated to eliminating substandard housing and to making adequate, affordable housing a matter of conscience and action. In 1996, a group of concerned and motivated individuals in River Falls, WI. and surrounding communities founded our local affiliate of Habitat for Humanity. St. Croix Valley Habitat for Humanity is now a thriving organization having partnered with 66 families toward home ownership, and is leading the industry in cold climate-sustainable, affordable, single-family housing development for Habitat for Humanity in the United States.
Seeking to put God’s love into action, Habitat for Humanity brings people together to build homes, communities, and hope.
- Demonstrate the love of Jesus Christ. We undertake our work to demonstrate the love and teachings of Jesus, acting in all ways in accord with the belief that God’s love and grace abound for all, and that we must be “hands and feet” of that love and grace in our world. We believe that, through faith, the miniscule can be multiplied to accomplish the magnificent, and that, in faith, respectful relationships can grow among all people.
- Focus on shelter. We have chosen, as our means of manifesting God’s love, to create opportunities for all people to live in decent, durable shelter. We put faith into action by helping to build, renovate or preserve homes, and by partnering with others to accelerate and broaden access to affordable housing as a foundation for breaking the cycle of poverty.
- Advocate for affordable housing. In response to the prophet Micah’s call to do justice, to love mercy and to walk humbly with God, we promote decent, affordable housing for all, and we support the global community’s commitment to housing as a basic human right. We will advocate for just and fair housing policy to eliminate the constraints that contribute to poverty housing. And, in all of our work, we will seek to put shelter on hearts and minds in such powerful ways that poverty housing becomes socially, politically and religiously unacceptable.
- Promote dignity and hope. We believe that no one lives in dignity until everyone can live in dignity. We believe that every person has something to contribute and something to gain from creating communities in which all people have decent, affordable places to live. We believe that dignity and hope are best achieved through equitable, accountable partnerships.
- Support sustainable and transformational development. We view our work as successful when it transforms lives and promotes positive and lasting social, economic and spiritual change within a community; when it is based on mutual trust and fully shared accomplishment; and when it demonstrates responsible stewardship of all resources entrusted to us.
Habitat for Humanity International and its affiliated organizations will not proselytize. Nor will HFH work with entities or individuals who insist on proselytizing as part of their work with HFH. This means that HFH will not offer assistance on the expressed or implied condition that people must adhere to or convert to a particular faith or listen and respond to messaging designed to induce conversion to a particular faith.